Monday, October 16, 2017

Making Great Teachers Fantastic


        I really enjoyed this video for a number of reasons.  First of all, I really liked that she was already a good teacher to begin with.  We often hear about how a teacher is doing a bad job if they do this or that and need to make corrections.  She wasn’t making corrections because she was doing a poor job, she was simply improving herself even more. I also enjoyed that the techniques the teacher was recommended to use were very clearly stated.  She wasn’t told “You need more literacy practice in the classroom”. Instead, she was told to create vocab activities, have more interaction with the board, and have different activities for different tables and skill levels in the classroom. Additionally, the video showed her before a class, during a class, doing the meeting with the expert, preparing for the class a week later (and the subsequent challenges/strides), conducting the class, and reviewing with the expert as follow-up.  I felt like I really got to see every element of the story and understand how and why these were effective in the classroom. Image result for vocab picture cardsThere were two strategies that really stood out to me that I would have never thought of on my own.  The first was to attach relatable images to vocab words.  The students could see boiling pasta for evaporation, for example.  The vocab cards added to that, since she was familiarizing the students with a common learning strategy for high school and college students.  I also would have never thought about the importance of having students write on the board. It’s exciting to see them come up and feel more special than if they had just called out something, and, as they said, it does keep them engaged since they may be called up. When teachers are writing on the board, they often call on students they know will answer correctly. This strategy could be used to get students ready to go up whether they were meaning to or not, and it wouldn’t take long for this to have the effect of having students more comfortable making mistakes and learning from them in your classroom environment.

(358)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed the video, Callie. It's definitely one of my favorite videos to share with pre-service teachers because the teacher provides a great professional model. Despite being a good teacher, she's excited to get constructive feedback and use it to improve her practice.

    ReplyDelete

Final Synthesis Blog

I was surprised and thought it was a mistake when I first saw the classes I was supposed to be taking. I'm math and science, why do I n...